Everyone loves to have pizza, wings, chips and dips on Super Bowl Sunday, but desserts often go forgotten among all the other delicacies. Fortunately for you, we have an awesome carrot cake recipe that does not require much work and only requires an item or two that you probably do not already have on-hand. By the time you get everything together and in the over, it should not take more than an hour.
Ingredients for cake:
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 ¾ cups white sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup flaked coconut
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 (8 ounce) can crushed pineapple , drained
Ingredients for frosting:
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
¼ cup butter , softened
2 cups icing sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
2. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon; make a well in the center and add sugar, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix with wooden spoon until smooth.
3. Stir in carrots, coconut, walnuts and pineapple. Pour into 9x13 inch pan and bake for about 45 minutes. Don't panic, the centre will sink a little.
4. Allow to cool; when cool, ice the cake. You can certainly use your favourite cream cheese frosting to ice this cake, but the one I've included is highly recommended (I usually leave the cake in the 13x9 pan and just ice the top).
5. To make the frosting: Cream the butter and cream cheese until smooth; add the icing sugar and beat until creamy.
There are more than 400 reviews for this carrot cake and it has earned a 5-star reputation. It sounds like a winner to me on Super Bowl Sunday, and it should feed quite a few people.
For more on the Patriots and their Super Bowl run, check out SB Nation's Patriots blog,Pats Pulpit as well as SB Nation Boston. For more on the Giants and their Super Bowl appearance, visit Giants blog Big Blue View and SB Nation New York. For all news and information regarding Super Bowl XLVI, please stay tuned to SB Nation's dedicated Super Bowl hub.