Going into the weekend, the expectation was for Michigan to add a couple commits to its 2013 football recruiting class. Several recruits were set to visit Michigan on Saturday and take in the basketball game against Ohio State that night. The excitement surrounding the game, as well as getting some big-time recruits on campus, made fans think there would be some new commitments.
As it turns out, there were a lot of new commitments, especially on Saturday. The Wolverines got their momentum going on Saturday afternoon with Illinois offensive tackle Kyle Bosch surprisingly committing. Shortly after, Michigan running back Wyatt Shallman joined Bosch, giving fans more reasons to joke about all of the team's commits coming in pairs.
This notion continued later in the afternoon when two players from Detroit Cass Tech High School committed to Michigan. Cornerback Jourdan Lewis and offensive tackle David Dawson became the third and fourth recruits to commit on the day and the sixth and seventh commits overall to join the class.
At this point, it seemed like Michigan's day was probably done, but after the Wolverines upset Ohio State, two more players joined the 2013 class. Michigan got Colorado offensive tackle Chris Fox, who wasn't even on campus, to commit. And later in the night the Wolverines added Ohio defensive end Taco Charlton, who was at the Ohio State game and could be seen having a lot of fun.
After Saturday's six commitments, Michigan kept the momentum going on Sunday with two more additions to its 2013 class. Ohio tight end Jake Butt committed shortly after 7 p.m., and two hours later Illinois offensive tackle Logan Tuley-Tillman surprisingly decided to end his recruitment by verballing to Michigan.
In total, Michigan secured the commitments of eight recruits over the weekend. All eight of them are considered four-star recruits, giving Michigan a total of 10 so far for 2013. The Wolverines have 11 total commits and are well on their way to once again finishing with one of the top recruiting classes in the nation. Assuming they are again near the top of the recruiting rankings come signing day next year, this past weekend will be pointed to as a big reason behind Michigan's success.
Michigan Football Recruiting Class Of 2013
- QB Shane Morris (Warren, MI) - 6'3", 183 lbs., ****
- S Dymonte Thomas (Alliance, OH) - 6'1", 175 lbs., ****
- TE Khalid Hill (Detroit, MI) - 6'2", 230 lbs., NR
- OT Kyle Bosch (Wheaton, IL) - 6'5", 285 lbs., ****
- RB Wyatt Shallman (Novi, MI) - 6'3", 255 lbs., ****
- CB Jourdan Lewis (Detroit, MI) - 5'11", 170 lbs., ****
- OT David Dawson (Detroit, MI) - 6'5", 305 lbs., ****
- OT Chris Fox (Parker, CO) - 6'6", 297 lbs., ****
- DE Taco Charlton (Pickerington, OH) - 6'6", 240 lbs., ****
- TE Jake Butt (Pickerington, OH) - 6'6", 230 lbs., ****
- OT Logan Tuley-Tillman (Peoria, IL) - 6'7", 280 lbs., ****
(Height, weight and stars from Rivals.com)