April 14, 2012; Ann Arbor, MI, USA; Michigan Wolverines quarterback Denard Robinson (16) gets ready to take the snap from offensive linesman Ricky Barnum (52) during the Michigan Spring game at Michigan Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Rick Osentoski-US PRESSWIRE
Fall practice is underway for the Michigan Wolverines, which are getting ready for their season-opening game against Alabama.
The Michigan football team kicked off fall camp on Monday with its first practice of the summer. The Wolverines are getting ready for the 2012 season and especially the season-opening game against Alabama on Sept. 1, and Monday's practice signaled the start of their preparations.
According to head coach Brady Hoke, the first practice of camp was "chippy," but that's just how he likes it.
First practice was chippy and competitive per brady hoke. He likes it that way.— Chris Balas (@Balas_Wolverine) August 6, 2012
Because practice isn't open to the media, updates on what went on during Monday's session are scarce. However, Hoke did provide several interesting tidbits to the media after practice:
- Running back Fitzgerald Toussaint and defensive end Frank Clark, who are both suspended indefinitely, did not take part in practice on Monday. Their status for the Alabama game remains up in the air.
- Quarterback Devin Gardner got snaps at wide receiver, a position fans will likely see him play at times during the season.
- Ricardo Miller is playing at both wide receiver and tight end.
- Wide receiver Jerald Robinson, who pleaded guilty on Monday to a misdemeanor charge of malicious destruction of property, took part in practice and is done being punished.
- Linebacker Antonio Poole was the only player who missed the first day of practice because of an injury.