Umpire Jim Joyce addressed his blown call after Wednesday night’s game. He expressed regret and dismay according to Dave Hogg, a Detroit area sportswriter, on twitter.
- Jim Joyce was utterly distraught when we talked to him. “Biggest call of my career, and I kicked the s**t out of it.”
- Joyce said he didn’t know if he would try to talk to Galarraga. “I don’t know what to do. I just cost that kid a perfect game.”
- Joyce: "That wasn't a call. That was a history call. And I missed it from here to this wall."
- Joyce: "I don't blame the Tigers for anything that was said. I don't blame one person a bit."
- Joyce: "If I were Galarraga, I would have been the first one in my face, and he didn't say a word to me."
Peter King of Sports Illustrated tweets that Joyce apologized to and hugged Galarraga after the game.
What a great moment in Comerica: Jim Joyce apologizes to Galarraga, Galarraga accepts, they hug. Class by Joyce, incredible class by the kid.