It has been quite the couple of weeks for Denard Robinson. Going into the season, Robinson was well known really only on a local level. Sure, many had heard the story behind his "Shoelace" nickname and saw his few touchdowns from last season, but that was about it. Even here in Ann Arbor, the talk surrounding Robinson was mainly only about how he improved as a passer over the offseason and how he was ready to take over as Michigan's starter. While hopes were high for Robinson, nobody could have imagined that he would light the college football world on fire and rack up nearly 900 yards of offense against UConn and Notre Dame.
As unbelievable as it is, here we are. We are entering the third week of the college football season and no player has garnered as much attention as Robinson. Nearly every day on SportsCenter this week there was a segment dedicated to Robinson and his Heisman chances, there have been thousands of articles about his great performances and the fact that he doesn't tie his shoes and Ann Arbor has been crawling with media who made the trip just to cover Robinson.
Since there has been so much about Robinson this week, I decided it was best to just combine everything into one single post rather than a separate one for each individual thing, as I don't want to have to rename Motown Lowdown to the Denard Robinson Blog. As a result, after the jump you can find a rundown of all the interesting Denard Robinson stories I gathered this week.
- As you probably could have guessed, Robinson is atop the "Heisman Watch" lists out there. It's way too early to even start talking about the Heisman Trophy, but based on the first two weeks of the season, nobody has been more deserving of the award than Robinson. The way he plays is proof of that, not only because of his stats, but because he actually looks like the Heisman Trophy when he runs. (Side note: for the story behind the Michigan Daily's awesome photo of Robinson striking the Heisman pose, check out Deadspin.)
- Saturday morning on College GameDay, a segment about Robinson and his untied shoes will be aired (at approximately 11 a.m.). Erin Andrews flew in for a few hours to shoot the segment. She also got a chance to meet Brock Mealer and check out Michigan Stadium. Click here for a picture of her and Robinson.
- Robinson says he doesn't have cable, so he isn't aware of all of the hype, at least not on television.
- Perhaps nobody is quite as happy with all of the attention Robinson's shoes are receiving as adidas.
- Ohio State players are very impressed with Robinson. Jim Tressel has actually been so impressed with Michigan as a whole that he voted for them both weeks on his ballot for the USA Today Coaches Poll.
- The M Den has been swamped with requests for No. 16 jerseys.
- Pat White said Robinson is a "beast."
- Bruce Feldman named Robinson the most exciting "young" player in college football.