clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Calvin Johnson now says he didn't have concussion, nerve damage

Calvin Johnson and the Detroit Lions are now denying that the star wide receiver suffered nerve damage and a concussion in a game against the Minnesota Vikings earlier this season.

Jonathan Daniel

Detroit Lions star wide receiver Calvin Johnson told reporters on Thursday that he suffered a concussion and nerve damage during the team's Week 4 matchup against the Minnesota Vikings, but on Friday the Lions and Johnson released a statement refuting all such claims. Johnson now says he "misused" the terms "concussion" and "nerve damage," and that he actually suffered a stinger. Here are parts of the statement, relayed by CBS Sports via Twitter:

Johnson has been unable to practice in recent weeks due to a lingering knee injury, but analysts have been more concerned with his lack of production in the red zone. Megatron earned his reputation as one of the top receivers in the NFL by dominating smaller defensive backs and producing big plays, but this season he has caught just one touchdown. Even so, Johnson currently leads the team with 48 receptions, 767 receiving yards, a 16.0 yards-per-catch average and 15 plays of 20+ yards.

The Lions lost to the Vikings, 20-13, back in Week 4. The rematch is slated for 1 p.m. ET on FOX this Sunday.

This story was originally published on SBNation.com.