Workers at the Belmont racetrack were seeking a new labor deal and had threatened to strike at this weekend's Belmont Stakes, where I'll Have Another will try to become the first horse in 34 years to win the Triple Crown.
But according to Vincent McElroen, the financial secretary for Local 3 of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, a deal has been struck.
"The race will go on with normal starters and normal maintenance crew represented by Local 3,'' he said....
"Now, together, we can focus exclusively on this Saturday's Belmont Stakes and I'll Have Another's historic attempt to become the first Triple Crown champion since Affirmed in 1978,'' NYRA president and chief operating officer Ellen McClain said in a statement released by Gov. Andrew Cuomo's office.
At issue were overtime and the structure of the track workers' work week. Workers at Belmont had been without a contract since February 2011.