The Michigan Wolverines and Michigan State Spartans advanced to the third round of the 2013 NCAA Tournament after both teams picked up wins on Thursday in Auburn Hills, Mich.
For more on this story, head over to Maize n Brew and The Only Colors.
Michigan State won the opening game of the second round of the tournament, defeating the Valparaiso Crusaders, 65-54. The Spartans took advantage of Valparaiso's small starting lineup, as Derrick Nix finished with 23 points and 15 rebounds. Keith Appling and Gary Harris also scored in double digits for Michigan State, which will take on the Memphis Tigers in the Round of 32.
Michigan overcame a first-half challenge from the South Dakota State Jackrabbits to coast to a 71-56 victory. Glenn Robinson III and Tim Hardaway Jr. each scored 21 points for the Wolverines, who outscored the Jackrabbits in the second half, 41-30. Michigan will face the winner of the night cap in Auburn Hills between the VCU Rams and Akron Zips.
More in College Basketball:
• Friday’s March Madness TV guide
• March Madness: Thursday's scores, updates, GIFs and more
• Printable bracket for March Madness
• Chasing Cinderella: Iona's inspiring run
• An oral history of Bryce Drew's epic buzzer-beater
• Full coverage of March Madness