In the newest 2011 NFL Mock Draft by SB Nation the Detroit Lions are predicted to select Purdue defensive end Ryan Kerrigan. Two weeks ago, California defensive end Cameron Jordan was the pick, and last week UCLA linebacker Akeem Ayers was slotted to go to the Lions at pick No. 13. This week, it's back to a defensive end for the Lions with Kerrigan being predicted as the pick.
The thinking behind this selection is that Kerrigan would be able to join an already strong defensive line with the Lions and help make it even better. While the Lions have more pressing needs at other positions, going by the best player available approach could lead to them taking a defensive end rather than, say, a cornerback or a linebacker.
Speaking of cornerbacks and linebackers, let's take a look at where some of the top players at each of those positions are predicted to be drafted.
- LSU CB Patrick Peterson is slotted to go to Buffalo as the third overall pick.
- Nebraska CB Prince Amukamara is predicted to go No. 7 to the 49ers.
- Interestingly, the next CB predicted to be drafted isn't until Brandon Harris of Miami (FL) comes off the board at pick No. 26 (made by the Ravens).
- The first LB predicted to be picked is Texas A&M's Von Miller. He is slotted as the fifth overall pick to the Cardinals.
- UCLA LB Akeem Ayers, the Lions' pick last week and the only other linebacker in the first round of this week's mock draft, is now predicted to be picked by the Patriots with the 17th selection.