clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Lions Vs. Packers Thanksgiving Day Score Update: Clay Matthews INT Tips Scales, Packers Lead 7-0 At Half

The first score of the game between the Detroit Lions and Green Bay Packers came after a Matthew Stafford pass was tipped at the line and dropped right into Clay Matthews' hands. Green Bay also got a little bit of help from a pass interference call that probably could have went either way, and Greg Jennings was able to score a short touchdown, giving the Packers a 7-0 lead in the second. Jason Hanson missed a field goal for the Lions on the following drive and the lead was preserved through the first half.

As the Packers took over for their first possession of the second quarter, word came out that Lions running back Kevin Smith was questionable to return. Detroit held fast on the first Packers drive, but on 3rd down, Eric Wright was called for pass interference and Green Bay was given a second life. They followed it up with a first down, but stalled out when they were finally called on their first penalty. Detroit came back with one of their own though, a penalty to Ndamukong Suh, and the Packers had an automatic first down near midfield. Detroit eventually came through without a penalty, though, forcing Green Bay to punt and taking the ball at the 20 yard line.

Detroit started their drive off from the shotgun, empty backfield, and Stafford threw a ball that was tipped at the line and landed right in the hands of Clay Matthews for an interception. Then the Lions are called for a questionable pass interference on first down, and the Packers have the ball at the goal line. There was nothing Detroit could do, and Greg Jennings caught a wide open pass in the endzone, giving the Packers a 7-0 lead.

The Lions got the ball back and converted their initial third down with a 23 yard completion to Calvin Johnson, who was wide open. The two minute warning came with the Lions in Packers territory, and they faced a third down shortly after. A deep bomb to Johnson fell incomplete and then, shockingly, the Lions missed the field goal wide, keeping the game at a 7-0 lead for Green Bay.

Green Bay started driving a little, but were called on a couple penalties, as were the Lions, and they were forced to punt with 41 seconds remaining in the half. The Packers are called for unnecessary roughness on the punt return, and even had Lee thrown out. Lee was being blocked and held for about twenty, maybe thirty yards, though he did retaliate by going for the throat. The half comes to an end with the Packers leading 7-0.

Below is the video of the Clay Matthews interception.