OK, let’s try this again.
After Game 1 of the ALDS between the Detroit Tigers and New York Yankees was rained out in the middle of the second inning Friday night, the two teams resume play from where the game was suspended on Saturday. The score was tied 1-1 going into the bottom of the second.
The Game 1 starting pitchers — Justin Verlander for the Tigers and CC Sabathia for the Yankees — won’t be pitching when play resumes since they pitched on Friday. That pushes the original Game 2 starters up to pitch on Saturday. Doug Fister takes the mound for Detroit, while Ivan Nova goes for the Yankees.
Fister has three career starts against the Yankees, compiling a 1-2 record and 6.00 ERA. He faced the Yankees once this season while with the Seattle Mariners and allowed three runs in seven innings. Nova did not face the Tigers during the regular season.
One difference for the Tigers in this resumed Game 1 is that Jim Leyland originally put together a lineup to face the left-handed Sabathia and can’t make the changes he normally would with Nova now pitching.
That leaves Ryan Raburn and Brandon Inge in the lineup when Ramon Santiago and Wilson Betemit would normally start at second base and third base, respectively, against a right-hander.
Via MLive.com, here are the current lineups, with their batting lines against tonight’s starting pitchers:
1. Austin Jackson, CF: 0-for-1
2. Magglio Ordonez, RF: 1-for-1
3. Delmon Young, LF: 1-for-3
4. Miguel Cabrera, 1B: 0-for-1
5. Victor Martinez, DH: 0-for-1, 2 BBs
6. Alex Avila, C
7. Ryan Raburn, 2B
8. Jhonny Peralta, SS
9. Brandon Inge, 3B
New York Yankees
1. Derek Jeter, SS: 4-for-10
2. Curtis Granderson, CF: 1-for-3, 1 HR, 2 Ks
3. Robinson Cano, 2B: 2-for-6
4. Alex Rodriguez, 3B: 1-for-5
5. Mark Teixeira, 1B: 3-for-9, 1 3B, 1 HR, 4 RBIs
6. Nick Swisher, RF: 2-for-7, 1 HR
7. Jorge Posada, DH: 2-for-6
8. Russell Martin, C
9. Brett Gardner, LF: 1-for-4