Last weekend, Michigan's 2013 football recruiting class shrunk from 23 commits to 22. This is because David Dawson, an offensive guard from Detroit Cass Tech, is no longer considered a Michigan commitment.
Dawson had expressed interest in visiting other schools in the past, which would have cost him his scholarship offer, but he never actually took any other visits. Last weekend, however, he informed Michigan coaches that he had scheduled a visit to Florida, according to the Detroit Free Press. Michigan's coaches, which have a strict no-visit policy for commits, reacted by pulling Dawson's scholarship offer and removing him from their 2013 class. Cass Tech coach Thomas Wilcher provided details on what happened.
"He told Michigan that he was going to visit Florida this weekend, and they told him that would mean he lost his scholarship offer," Cass Tech head coach Thomas Wilcher explained. "They explained that it was his choice [to visit Florida], but they were going to have him [decommit]."
With Dawson out of the picture and unlikely to enter back into it, Michigan is exploring other options to add another offensive lineman to its 2013 class. Having to part ways with a four-star recruit like Dawson certainly stings, but the good news for the Wolverines is that they have plenty of time to fill his spot. It also helps that they already have a very strong group of offensive linemen committed for 2013.
Below is an updated look at Michigan's 2013 class.
Michigan Football Recruiting Class Of 2013
- QB Shane Morris (Warren, MI) - 6'3", 183 lbs., *****
- S Dymonte Thomas (Alliance, OH) - 6'1", 175 lbs., ****
- TE Khalid Hill (Detroit, MI) - 6'2", 230 lbs., ***
- OT Kyle Bosch (Wheaton, IL) - 6'5", 311 lbs., ****
- RB Wyatt Shallman (Novi, MI) - 6'3", 245 lbs., ****
- CB Jourdan Lewis (Detroit, MI) - 5'10", 159 lbs., ****
- OT Chris Fox (Parker, CO) - 6'6", 297 lbs., ****
- DE Taco Charlton (Pickerington, OH) - 6'6", 249 lbs., ****
- TE Jake Butt (Pickerington, OH) - 6'6", 235 lbs., ****
- OT Logan Tuley-Tillman (Peoria, IL) - 6'7", 321 lbs., ****
- WR Jaron Dukes (Columbus, OH) - 6'4", 197 lbs., ***
- OG Patrick Kugler (Wexford, PA) - 6'5", 280 lbs., ****
- OLB Mike McCray (Trotwood, OH) - 6'4", 230 lbs., ****
- CB Gareon Conley (Massillon, OH) - 6'2", 165 lbs., ***
- RB Deveon Smith (Warren, OH) - 5'11", 195 lbs., ***
- LB Ben Gedeon (Hudson, OH) - 6'3", 215 lbs., ****
- WR Csont'e York (Harper Woods, MI) - 6'3", 185 lbs., ***
- DT Maurice Hurst Jr. (Westwood, MA) - 6'2", 305 lbs., ***
- DT Henry Poggi (Baltimore, MD) - 6'4", 260 lbs., ****
- LS Scott Sypniewski (Ottawa, IL) - 6'1", 230 lbs., **
- CB Channing Stribling (Matthews, NC) - 6'2", 170 lbs., **
- CB Ross Douglas (Avon, OH) - 5'10", 180 lbs., ****
(Height, weight and stars from Rivals.com)