Before last Sunday, Michigan State had five commitments for its 2012 football recruiting class. Amazingly, the Spartans picked up as many commitments in the last week alone, with the latest being Georgia running back Nick Tompkins. He committed to Michigan State on Sunday to become the fifth new recruit of the week and the 10th recruit overall to join the Spartans' 2012 class.
Tompkins is considered an all-purpose running back by Rivals, which gives him three stars. Scout and ESPN also have Tompkins listed as a three-star recruit. 24/7 Sports has not yet evaluated him.
According to Rivals, Tompkins has a lengthy offer list. It includes MSU, Army, Boston College, California, Cincinnati, Duke, Georgia Tech, Illinois, Indiana, Maryland, Mississippi, Mississippi State, Purdue, Vanderbilt, Virginia, West Virginia and Wisconsin, among others.
Michigan State Football Recruiting Class Of 2012
- DB Riley Bullough (Traverse City, MI) - 6'2", 195 lbs., ***
- OL Zach Higgins (Alliance, OH) - 6'5", 305 lbs., ***
- OG Benny McGowan (Centerville, OH) - 6'4", 290 lbs., ***
- TE/DE Evan Jones (West Lafayette, OH) - 6'6", 240 lbs., ***
- QB Tyler O'Connor (Lima, OH) - 6'3", 202 lbs., ***
- DE Se'Von Pittman (Canton, OH) - 6'5", 245 lbs., ****
- WR Kyle Kerrick (Coatesville, PA) - 6'3", 183 lbs., ***
- LB Jamal Lyles (Southfield, MI) - 6'3", 215 lbs., ***
- TE/DE Josiah Price (Greentown, IN) - 6'5", 239 lbs., ***
- RB Nick Tompkins (Snellville, GA) - 5'10", 185 lbs., ***
(Height, weight and stars from Rivals.com)